British Values and SMSC
At Stanion C.E Primary School, we recognise that the personal development of pupils, spiritually, morally, socially and culturally plays a significant part in their ability to learn and achieve. We therefore aim to provide an education that provides children with opportunities to explore and develop their own values and beliefs, spiritual awareness, high standards of personal behaviour, a positive caring attitude towards other people, an understanding of their social and cultural traditions and an appreciation of the diversity and richness of other cultures. This is embedded throughout all aspects of school life.
The aims of our SMSC education programme are:
- to enable children to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England.
- to encourage children to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of our school and to society more widely.
- to provide pupils with a rounded education, including learning how to work and play together, understanding and respecting others’ points of view, respecting and applying rules and understanding why these exist.
- to encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
- to encourage pupils to value themselves and their unique contributions to their own and others’ lives, and in turn to value and celebrate others and their qualities and abilities.
- to encourage acceptance that other people having different faiths or beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour.
Our designated governor for British Values and SMSC is Mrs Jackie Makepeace.
Our British Values/SMSC staff coordinator is Mrs Sarah Hankins.